Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Being Heard not part of the Herd

Being Heard not part of the Herd!

Seth Godin writes in today's blog that it is not the product or the price but the audience's ability to listen. Seth makes a great point that should be considered long before contact. Ask yourself, "Am I necessary and will my products/ services benefit my audience?"

As a business owner, perhaps nothing is more frustrating than someone wasting your time. I understand the need to be in front of the customer, just make sure they are a potential customer. Better to waste some of your sales time as a researcher digging into what your customers really need than being a nuisance.

Three steps that will set you apart from the herd of sales people beating the path to the front door of your client;

  1. Be sincere. I don't need another back slapping salesman trying to persuade. Instead, look at my position and if you have products that will help me...I want to hear about em...if not, move on and stop wasting both of our time.
  2. Ask about my biggest challenge. Even if you can't help me with your own product, you may have a connection who can help. So as your moving on...call your friend and mention my need. If he calls on me, make sure he mentions you. i won't forget that you looked beyond self interest.
  3. Follow up after the sale. Don't just do what you said you would do...beat it to death with over delivery and do it every time. I will expect it.
If you can keep it up...I will notice you aren't a herd kind-a-guy /gal at all. Then you will have my trust and with my trust comes the chance for me to listen better and better.


No comments: